Tuesday June 19 was one of those days that with a lot of luck, everything fit perfectly into place.
- 9:30 – 11:00 — We hopped on the Hop-on-Hop-off bus Mermaid Tour at stop 1, across from Christianborg Palace. The ride lasted 90 minutes, and we hopped off back at stop 1.
- 11:15 – 12:15 — The 1-hour guided Canal Boat tour (no stops) left right from stop 1 (price is included in the Hop-on-Hop-off bus ticket.)
- 12:30 — And a week before I just happened to make 12:30 lunch reservations in the Christianborg Palace Tower Restaurant. So, luckily, our timing to reach the restaurant was perfect.
When we had lunch at Heidi’s home, during her walking tour she had a great recommendation for us. There’s always a line at the lift to go to the top of the Christianborg Palace tower, to see the view; but if you book lunch reservations, you can skip the line. Lunch was lovely, and so is the view!
Bus/boat how tos:
The Hop-on-Hop-off bus has three different lines – Mermaid, Carlsberg, and Christiania. (They use both green and red busses.) Plus, your combo ticket (250 Kr. – $39 USD) includes the guided Canal Boat Ride, and a Hop-on-Hop-off boat ride (two different boats). Tickets are good for 48 hours (and we think there’s a “free” additional 24 hours, but didn’t try it.)
Christianborg Palace and Tower info:
Lunch reservations: https://taarnet.dk/restauranten/?lang=en
In a different post, I’ll share more about visiting Christianborg Palace, but the pro tip is – if you want to take guided tours of four different parts of the Palace, Saturday is the day (3 of the sites have guided tours only on Saturday (at least in June.). There’s a lot you can do in the Palace that Rick Steves doesn’t cover in his guidebook.
Here’s a link to learn about visiting the Palace: http://kongeligeslotte.dk/en/palaces-and-gardens/christiansborg-palace.html
Top Palace thoughts are:
- If you buy a combo ticket (150 Kr.; $23.50 USD), it’s good for 30 days, so you don’t need to do the 4 sites all in one day.
- They tell you that you can see each site only once, but two staff members told me that you can sweet talk the docents into an additional visit.
- Sites are open every day except Monday for exploration on your own. But it’s really nice to do guided tours.
- The four sites are:
- Ruins (guided tours Saturday only)
- Stables (horses are on vacation June – August but the stables are still worth seeing) (guided tours Saturday only)
- Royal Kitchen (guided tours Saturday only)
- Reception Rooms (these are the only guided tours that are available every day except Monday)
- July 25, 2018
- July 27, 2018
- July 25, 2018